I’m still on my SpriteKit journey and am ready to tackle a few more hurdles. Primarily, these include making some easy and reusable code to allow me to place one node relative to another. We will then expand on this solution to help us place one node relative to the screen’s edges. Finally, this solution will also show how to handle the “safe area” you’ll see on an iPhone X.
As a native iOS developer I have found a wide range of amazing tools and libraries that are freely available. Some of this is designed toward a specific end goal, but much of it is very flexible and could even be used for a variety of purposes including game development. With this in mind, I decided to explore what an Entity Component System (ECS) might look like when backed by Core Data. So far I am enjoying the results, and welcome you to try it for yourself.
A lot of sprite games include tiled backgrounds. Tile Maps are a special tool which allow the creation of these backgrounds without needing large arrays of nodes, which could otherwise potentially cripple your game’s performance. This post will provide a quick overview for tile maps and features including: tile animations, tile variations, 8-Way Adjacency Groups, Custom Adjacency Groups, and a Tile Definition’s User Data.
I’ve been hard at work creating another prototype for my next blog project. This time I am working on a Collectible Card Game like Hearthstone. Here’s a sample video of the game so far.
I’ve been asked repeatedly about Patreon and have been encouraged to move my blog to my own site so I could try and make money thru advertising etc. Thank you! It means a lot that you would show your gratitude by concern for me! So I’ve decided to give it a try, and I want some feed back from you on a few things.
I have recently been tasked with the implementation of accessibility related to blindness on a few different iOS projects. There is a lot of documentation on this already, but finding it all in one place and getting a “quick” overview of the basic idea were a bit harder to find. Following are the notes I made for myself as well as some tips and gotchas that others might benefit from.
I’ve completed another prototype. This is actually a game designed by my oldest son (9 years old) that he created on paper, and I decided to flesh it out for him. The game is a local multi-player game where each player is a Pokemon trainer. As you travel around the board you can have random encounters with wild-pokemon, catch and train them, and eventually test out your skills against a gym. The first player to earn four gym badges wins!
There are a ton of resources available that show the end result of tile-based games. Fans, hobbyists etc, painstakingly capture entire dungeons, shops, towns and world maps etc. from their favorite games. The TileMapper project is a tool created using Unity which allows you to easily extract the unique tiles from a tile map (for educational purposes of course). It has a variety of features to make this process easy and even includes a feature to help you recreate the map using the newly captured tiles.
In this post we will begin the first real step of the project as we create the game screen – this will consist of a simple text field for user input and a scrollable text view showing the history of messages throughout the game. I will go in-depth on the description of code for the view controller as well as the manager object that records the message history. When we complete this lesson, you should be able to type messages into the text field and see them get appended to the log of messages in the text view.
You’ve probably been told before not to re-invent the wheel, but when it comes to my own code I couldn’t disagree more. I love re-inventing the wheel because it helps you understand why things are designed the way they are, and occasionally allows you to make something better. I’m currently “thinking out loud” about a whole new approach to the way I implement state machines that can provide functionality I had been wanting but not thought was possible – until now.